Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Defining moments

In response to the, ever impending, Thanksgiving holiday I've been very reflective the last few days; not on the things I'm thankful for (family, friends, possessions), but on the moments I'm thankful for.

Have you ever been in a situation, so beautiful, that you are simply in awe? You may think, "this is my life... wow, this is my life"? I have. There aren't many, but the moments I have experienced like that, are the most memorable moments of my life.

Here's one:


Circa 2010, somewhere near Tallahassee, Florida. Vanessa and, her partner-in-crime, Gypsy.

This day was especially beautiful for me, because my soul was exposed. I felt stripped down to my bones, with the entire world to see. Something about being next to a huge body of water reminds me of how small I actually am. I don't feel invincible, or even resilient. I feel thankful that I'm privileged enough to be sitting next to the ocean. In addition to my revelations, I was with someone who had an even greater appreciation of this short life we are granted.

On the surface, Vanessa is a very sexy Cuban attorney. In reality, Vanessa is a 85 year old Jewish lady, with more wisdom than Buddha's left toe. Vanessa's ability to exude her appreciate for life, is intoxicating. I always get drunk on her laughter and wiser from her words, and with this and the combination of the ocean, this day will forever be impressed on my emotions.

I'm collecting these moments, like a hoarder collects used condoms. This is what I'm thankful for.

Cheers,
Garrett Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment